Right when everyone in our lives are buying houses, we're going in the opposite direction. Not ideal, but it also means I can continue to pursue my dream of running this business full time. Worth the sacrifice.
I thought I'd share some tricks I've acquired in the process of downsizing that could be helpful to you too! Here are my 10 tips for moving & downsizing:
- Use up everything in the pantry
- Throw out expired food and spices
- Determine what will need to be sold or stored (goodbye patio set...)
- Do a closet overhaul and donate clothes you haven't worn in over a year. Throw out old, stained clothes.
- Sell books you no longer want to a used book store
- Donate "stuff" you've been holding onto but not using (I found a boombox, old backpacks, and mountains of blank CDs)
- Go through old paperwork and determine what you need to keep (Learn about how long to keep paperwork around from Lifehacker)
- Recycle or shred the rest (getting rid of those college notes felt so good!)
- Only buy what you need. This is a rule I should live by all the time. Almost out of toothpaste? Do you have enough to last until after the move?
- Let friends & family know you are moving. It's likely someone has some recycled boxes from a recent move that they are looking to get rid of!
I hope this helps you all next time you are getting ready to move or downsize. Do you have any tips & tricks for moving? Share in the comments below.
P.S. If I seem a little more quiet this week, I'm lost in piles of boxes!