If you have ever been to Disneyland on a rainy day, you know it is a total game-changer. But with a few readjustments, you can still have a magical time at the Happiest Place on Earth.
Being from the Pacific Northwest, normally I'm not bothered by a little rain. But California rain is different than the Northwest drizzle. It downpours, and suddenly you find yourself ill-prepared in a park designed for perfectly sunny days.
Here are 5 tricks I've learned to still enjoy your trip to Disneyland when it turns into a very blustery day.
- Catch a performance of Mickey and the Magical Map This stage show is tucked in the back of the park, across from Small World, and is truly magical. The seating area is fully covered, giving you a chance to dry off while being entertained by a really top notch performance. Plus there are delicious snacks available out front at Troubadour Tavern! I try to arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled show time (found in the Entertainment Schedule) to get a seat up front. Bonus: The Enchanted Tiki Room is a great nostalgic show that is also indoors!
- Enjoy a meal at a restaurant Most restaurants (not carts) offer indoor seating or canopies for you to take cover. This is a great opportunity to take a load off and enjoy your meal instead of the typical grab-and-go. My family has gone to Cafe Orleans (hello Monte Cristo) for as long as I can remember, but I'm excited to find new favorites.
- Take a trip down memory lane by riding the dark rides Dark Rides refer to the indoor rides that are dark and feature scenes from popular Disney movies. Many of the dark rides have been around since the park opened. My personal favorites are Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, and Winnie the Pooh.
- Peruse a gift shop There are many hidden gems inside the gift shops of Disneyland, and I don't mean the Dooney & Bourke purses! Check out Pooh Corner after you exit Winnie the Pooh to watch the candy makers work there magic. Stuck in Tomorrowland? Head into The Star Trader and make your own lightsaber or droid!
- Be prepared and embrace the rain You've checked the forecast and know it's going to be a washout. Embrace it. Pack a spare change of clothes in a rented locker on Main Street, then let the rain come down. Ride Splash Mountain 5 times in a row (no line!). Then change, bundle up, and enjoy the magical reflecting lights in all the puddles.
Many rides can't operate in the rain, like Storybook Canal Boats, which can put a damper on your original plans. Also, the parade floats can't come out, but they still run a mini-parade using the Main Street vehicles. But if you can embrace it, you will enjoy short lines and a unique Disneyland experience that is magical in it's own way.
Happy Puddle Jumping!
Enjoyed this post? Make sure to check out my Top 5 to Thrive in Disneyland tips!